Our Church History
The Church of Christ in Roscoe began with a tent meeting near the downtown area about October of 1904.During this meeting a drive was started to build a meeting house but for lack of funds no work began at this time. Among those who hada part were J. S. Arledge of Maryneal, M. Zellner of Loraine and the L. T. Pate family. Other evangelistic meetings were conducted by Brother McGovoc, W. A. Barnhill and G. A. Lambert. The small group met from house to house and in the school in 1907. Others were W. D. Haney, P. A. Smith, Paul and Hugh Harkins, W. M. Eoff families, Dan Handy and Charles Loyd, W. A Sloan and Charlie Wade families joined. In 1935 the church moved its building at Fourth and Oak to the corner of Third and Bois d’ Arc. In 1948 this building was sold and moved to make room for a new building. In 1964 the dwelling used for classrooms was sold and a new educational building constructed. This added eight classrooms, a preacher's study and restrooms. The auditorium built in 1948 was razed in 1974 and a new auditorium finished in July of 1975. The first preacher's residence was where the educational building now stands.
Preachers who have served: R. J. Smith, A. F. Thurman, R. C. Ledbetter, Horace Teddley, Sam Williams, Brooks Terry, David Desha, Lee McClesky, Bill Hines, J. B. Hudson, Wallace Mynatt, Frank Downes, Thurman Self , John Morgan, Terry Danley, Phil Collard, James Griner, Denny Sneed and currently Dan Boren.
The church grew from a few dedicated members who met in a tent to its present numbers. The Lord has blessed the Church of Christ in Roscoe and it stands ready to serve the community and Nolan County